Ferret Lovers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ferret Lovers is a free-to-join forum where you can chat, watch videos, share stories, and more with other ferret lovers.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits Empty
PostSubject: Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits   Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 11:20 pm

How do older ferrets get along with like 8 month old kits?
Back to top Go down
Love-Ferrets

Love-Ferrets

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits   Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits EmptyTue 14 Apr 2009, 3:08 am

Males can be very territorial and some 1-2 years old ferrets can kill a kit even if its a male or female!
Demon was VERY territorial with Johnny and they were only 3 months of difference ... !!
He was biting him and made him cry !!
He was very ruff pale
For 2 weeks Johnny and Demon were sleeping in a seperate cage (I put the ferret cage in my computer room and Demon was sleeping in the ferrets room, in the pet carier (it was always open so he was free to go in a litter box, eat, drink water etc Wink ). I was slowly introducing Johnny yo Demon but he was very mad No After two weeks he was letting Johnny sleep in the same cage but didn't want Johnny to sleep with him in the same hammock lol He was still pushing him, hissing, and make him a litle bit cry No After two months Demon starts to "play" with Johnny but they were some unfriendly fights sometimes. Bu he quickly starts to be friend with him because he was learning that Johnny was here to stay and also because they were only 3 months of age difference so Johnny was tuff enough to fight Demon back lol!
I do not recomand people to buy another ferret if they have a ferret under one year old. You should also check the difference of age.
Maybe a 4 months of difference may works but keep in mind that some ferrets will NEVER be friend with another ferret and may kill it if he has to share his cage with!
You should also never put another ferret in your ferret's cage the first weeks! It can cause stress to your new friend and make your other ferret angry. I'm talking for male ferrets because they are very territorial and can be very agressive when it comes to have a new pawl in THEIR home lol
Females are usually less territorial but if a female has been alone for severale years she may be agressive...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits   Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits EmptySat 18 Apr 2009, 9:30 pm

Thanks. I just wanted to know because at the end of the year I am expecting to get another one. I am going to check shelters first and then go to a petstore as a last resort because I want to get one thats around a year old.
Back to top Go down
Love-Ferrets

Love-Ferrets

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits   Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits EmptySun 19 Apr 2009, 2:41 am

Yeah thats best, because ferrets of 1-2 years old and more male ferrets are agressif when it comes to have a young kit in the family No
But don't forget its possible that your male ferret won't accept your one year old or whatever ferrets .. some never accept a new pawl and you have to get them in seperate cage ..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits   Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing Older Ferrets To Kits
Page 1 of 1